Winter Wine
Winter Wine
Winter Wine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Give me wine to wash me clean of the weather-stains of cares

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rise of Ruin

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Netty
Admin
Netty

Rise of Ruin - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 pm

"I'm sure he's fine." said Mardian with a faint smile. "If he's a wild horse like that I'm sure he knows everything he needs to about surviving in the desert." He looked up toward the clouds again. "Ever since Iridian showed up and I found out my parents are really alive...I've been going over my head what to say to them after all this time." he said, his own mind wandering and her subject of being separated from her friend making him think of the people he missed as well. He gave sort of a pained smirk.

"Looking at Iridian, 'what were you thinking' comes to mind pretty strongly." he said. "With just the way he's seemed to turn out....That wasn't my father. Not in the least bit." he said. "My father was always a very respectable man and he treated everyone as if they mattered. Not in the superficial way that some people do when they're trying to sell you something...and he was a merchant, but in the way that when you met him...when you talked to him, you knew he was listening. You knew that your every word was treasured and your needs and well-being mattered to him just as deeply as it was his own." he said. "He saved my mother's life shortly after they met, unarmed and against some thugs...that had a similar outlook on women that Iridian does. It just...baffles me."

Iridian dove down into the water, hoping to find some entertainment in the depths. He wasn't disappointed. There was Zarina and she waved to him in the water as he swam toward her, meeting him halfway. "If it isn't my lovely mermaid." he smiled.

Garic was over near where Miri was, walking around some of the humans' possessions and searching for something to do. Fritz was pecking away at some seed in a bird feeder happily and so he wasn't concerned with what the two little picori were up to.
Back to top Go down
https://winterwine.forumotion.com
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

"I hope you get to see them again." Farei said quietly after listening to him. "They seem like very nice people." she never took her eyes off the sky, keeping her mind from wondering about her own mother or even any aunts she had at the time of her birth.

Miri was fixing a patch on Farei's blouse when Garic walked by. Her blue eyes followed him for a moment. "You look like you're bored. Why aren't you out with the humans?"
Back to top Go down
Dai

Dai

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Avis was soon floating on her back, just relaxing peacefully. The water was crisp and cool, and the sun was at that perfect spot so as not to blind her by flashing across her eyes. She felt so comfortable, that she could almost sleep-not that she did so. But she was able to truly relax for the first time in goodness knows how long. She was always such a ball of energy, that it was hard to imagine her to be still.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Mardian closed his eyes. "I hope so too." said Mardian quietly. "I hate to think of them having lived with guilt for losing me for so long..." he said. "The way I always remembered it...I'd felt like it was my fault. The last images of them. My father snatching me up in his arms, lifting me up to safety onto the wagon and trying in vain to get my mother up there as well. He had a hold of her hand, they were running toward me and then..." He closed his eyes.

"The bullbos knocked them to the ground, I heard their screams. The horses bolted and the bulbins gave chase. Everything happened so fast. In an instant they were gone. Even now that I know they did I can't imagine how they survived. I supposed I was actually lucky that I fell out of the wagon. Not so much that I hit my head but after I saw what was left of it after the bulbins were done with it, I doubt that my father sacrificing himself to get me to safety would have mattered." He said, reflecting. "I'm sorry. I'm rambling." he said, rubbing his brow. In all truth, he had never told anyone that much about what had happened to his family. The memories had always been too hard to recount, and he doubted anyone really wanted to listen to his tragedy anyway. He doubted Farei really had cared to hear it either. His family had been heavy on his mind lately though, and for the first time...he felt like he had needed to talk about it.

Garic looked up, his whiskered nose twitching slightly. "Same as you. Trying to find something to work on." he said. "Everybody has been working so hard and I feel like I've barely done a thing to help."
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:18 pm

"I don't think we're meant to help." Miri said quietly, stitching another tear together. "All we do is get in the way. Maybe we should just leave the humans alone." she said quietly. "I'm tired of this adventure anyway." she admitted.

Farei had kept her silence during his talking about his family. She listened to him, knowing what he went through was indeed tragic, and she felt for him, but it wasn't her place to say anything. She imagined it wasn't her he would want comfort from. After a few minutes she sat up, pulling her feet out of the water and drying them off. Nature would have to wait again. There would be no relaxing or getting away from anything today. She gathered her towel quietly.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Mardian saw her get up and sensed that he was probably the reason with him going on about that day. Farei was out here to try to enjoy Hyrule while she could and there he was talking about depressing family separation. He mentally kicked himself. His timing always seemed to be off anymore, and perhaps there really wasn't an appropriate time for him to voice any of those thoughts. He sat up too, looking around the lake and the expanse that Gayle's protection covered. He did know the landscape better than just about anyone. He looked at their options and then got an idea. "Farei, come with me. I want to show you something." he said, he reached out and gripped her hand in his, the uninjured arm and didn't give her a chance to protest.

Where he was leading her wasn't too far, thankfully the bend that he was taking her to was still under Gayle's protection. The sound of rushing water was steady, yet soothing as they turned the corner, the sun hitting the water just right causing a small rainbow in the mist.

~

"I dunno...I know we can't do much in fighting or anything...but we can go up to places that the humans can't." he said. "Like the treasury that you and Akamu found. That was helpful." he said. "And stuff like fixing their clothes so they don't have to is useful whether we're their home minish, or out here where they actually keep tearing the stuff." he said. "Even if we did leave Akamu would never leave Farei behind so...I guess they're stuck with Minish one way or another." he said.
Back to top Go down
Dai

Dai

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

"Ya got tha' right," said Akamu. "I ain' gon' leave anyone behin', though. I'm stayin' 'til th' end o' this," he said. "And I'll go down stabbin' ankles, if need be. I got a needle specially reserved for tha' Vaati feller."

Last edited by Dai on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:12 am

"My mistake." Miri added after a moment, finishing with Farei's clothes and moving on to some of Avis'. "I'm not built for adventuring or fighting. I was born in the mountains, married a mountain Minish, and moved into a house after that. I think I'll go back to the mountains. I'm sure my uncle will find something I can do. It was a huge mistake ever leaving."

Farei had to be pulled a bit when he gripped her hand, the shock freezing her to her spot at first. She followed him, reluctant, but too nice to speak up. What she saw made it all worth it. The waterfall was absolutely gorgeous and it took her breath away. Rainbows were never seen in the desert, much less so much water. "A waterfall...?"
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:32 am

"Seems crazy all this trouble has been caused by one of us. They always say little people can make a big difference, but Vaati was one of us once...and now all these people have to be scared and worried about all of Hyrule." he said, kneeling down to work on the sleeve of the shirt Mardian had been wearing when his arm was slashed. "I don't know what the right thing to do is, Miri." said Garic. "All these people are fighting so hard to make sure everyone in Hyrule is okay...and I'd feel bad about leaving them just because things got tough...but I don't want to be a liability either. None of us are gonna grow big like Vaati did...we don't know how. Still if a minish like Vaati can make a really big bad difference, why couldn't we make a good one? If you do decide you wanna go though...Fritz and I will take you."

Mardian smiled faintly. "You said you wanted to be able to see as much as you could of Hyrule's beauty while you could. This one peaks most of the sights. It's the biggest waterfall in all of Hyrule." he said. "It starts clear up in Zora fountain."
Back to top Go down
Dai

Dai

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 3:24 am

"Y'know...it may no' seem like much, but I kin teach ya a thang or two 'bout how t' handle yerselves in a scrap. I've learned a few things. Had t' so's I could keep me belongin's safe."

Last edited by Dai on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 pm

"Vaati had access to magic." Miri murmured, fixing a loose button. She looked over at Akamu when he suggested teaching them to fight, a look of mild annoyance on her face. "No, thank you." she said quickly. "I'm going back to the mountains, where I was meant to stay. Not the fields, not the desert, not in a house. Mountains." she said with sharp finality in her tone.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 pm

"Then Fritz and I will fly you there." said Garic with a faint nod. "I suppose you're right, really, and all you and I would be is something that they'd be worried about crushing or squishing." he said, his whiskered nose twitching slightly.

Mardian had decided to let Farei enjoy the peace of the waterfall on her own for a while. He wasn't much of a conversationalist in the first place and what was on his mind these days wasn't anything that was pleasant chatting material. Farei was resigned that this would be her one and only chance to see the rest of the world before she was murdered by the Sages, a concept he still couldn't quite wrap his head around. No other way around it, no other way to look at it, that was just blatant...murder. There was so much wrong with it he couldn't even begin to list it off. He heard the end of the conversation between the little picoris and paused a few feet back from them, his long shadow easily overcasting all of them. "You two are heading home then?" he asked, squatting down so he could see the two picori who seemed they were about to be homeward bound.
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 am

Miri turned when Mardian's shadow crept over them and her blue eyes met his. She rubbed her arm a bit nervously. "Yes," she said quietly. "I'm going to stay with my uncle on Death Mountain. I'm sure he's worried about me. My husband is probably rolling in his grave too, knowing I'm out here. I...I used to be married, you know. Had a family." she knew this was a terrible time to bring such things up. "But they're gone...and I guess it's pretty stupid of me to be careless now. So I'm going home. I'm sorry, Mardian. You saved my life, but I should know by now that I'm pretty useless in helping others. I couldn't save my family either and I'm just in the way here. So um, if you ever come by the mountain, maybe I'll see you again?"

Miri's sad gaze was down, focused at the grass. She had done all her crying over the matter now, and even though she wanted to be with her husband and son more than anything, they wouldn't forgive her if she died being so reckless, and she wouldn't forgive herself for dying and causing these brave humans more trouble. "Good luck...I really do hope you make it. I'd like to see you again...someday."

~~~

Farei sat down in the soft grass, watching the waterfall and, more importantly, the zora who seemed to go about their business, whether it was fishing, playing, or darting back and forth, some even swimming up the waterfall. Farei wasn't sure if they spoke the same language she did, or if they even noticed her sitting there. Mardian had left her here on her lonesome, which she didn't mind much. She imagined he would rather not deal with her though it was nice of him to show her this place. The cool mist from the waterfall felt wonderful on her face. She didn't want to get back to their adventure, or even go back to Gayle's. She just wanted to stay here. Forever.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 am

Mardian held his hand down for Miri to hop up on and seated himself in the grass. "I didn't know about your family, Miri, I'm very sorry about their loss. I know how it feels, although it seems I may be more fortunate." he said, gentle sympathy in his eyes. "But I don't want you to leave thinking that you're useless." he said. "You ended up in a house where they didn't understand or appreciate you. It's not your fault that woman was blind to the privilege you were giving her with your presence and your help. But you're right, a battle isn't a place for you picori, and though I'll miss you I'm glad that you've decided to return home. It will ease my mind that at least a couple of my new friends are safe and sound." he smiled sadly.

"Even big people can't always protect the people they love, but no matter what our sizes it always feels like a terrible personal failure when tragedy strikes and we're helpless against it. That's something that I still battle myself. I know that you're good at what Picori's do best, and no one expects you to be what you're not. When this is over I promise to come and visit you when I can. Though you'll have to tell me where to look." he said. "Have a safe journey and keep us in your prayers. That will mean a lot to all of us here. Goddesses willing we'll see each other again." he said, his blue eyes just slightly overbright. He prayed that they would all see through this crisis safely, and that he could find some way to dissuade Farei from giving up on her life and letting the sages destroy her. She really and truly didn't deserve it, especially with all she was willing to go through to protect a world that didn't understand her. She was a better person than she realized, and someday, he hoped to help her see that.

Garic climbed up Mardian's coat and moved over to Miri's side. "Fritz is ready to go when you are, Miri." he said.

"Then lets get you two on your way." said Mardian, carrying them over to where Fritz was perched, Garic helping Miri onto Fritz's back. "Be safe you two." he said. "You too, Fritz." he said, giving the small bird a soft stroke on the head with his fingertip. Fritz chirped and took off once the final goodbyes were said and Mardian watched them go until they were no longer visible, which didn't take overly long since the bird and his passengers were so small to begin with. He breathed a faint sigh and turned to head back to Farei and see how she was doing. He hoped she was enjoying the waterfall.
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Miri gave a sad smiles at Mardian's kind words. Words she felt she didn't really deserve. She hadn't been cut out for this adventure, and honestly, if Mardian hadn't been roped into it, she probably would be more than happy to stay with him. Perhaps later, if all of them made it, she'd dare to leave the mountain again. She would be waiting for a visit. Miri, having never flown on the back of a bird before, was nervous about the trip. She wrapped her tiny arms around Garic's middle to hold on and hoped Fritz would be able to make the trip safely. She gave the humans, particularly Mardian and Avis, one last sad glance and prayed to the Goddesses for their protections.

Farei had noticed Mardian missing for a few good minutes now and looked over to see where he had gone. She picked up pieces of the conversation and heard that two of the Minish were parting ways with them here. She frowned, and any sort of happiness she had recovered from looking out over this beautiful landscape had vanished almost completely. She had the sinking feeling that this was all her fault and she pulled her feet out of the water, drawing her knees to her chest and hugging them to her. She pressed her face against her knees and bit her lip. She was sure Mardian and Avis would take their departure the hardest, and Farei wondered if any of them would get any sort of peace during this small break. She lifted her head after a few minutes and sighed heavily, looking out over the water sadly. What she wouldn't give to be anyone else or somewhere else right now.
Back to top Go down
Dai

Dai

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Akamu saw Farei and he made his way over to her, looking up and seeing how she hid her face, surmising how upset she must be. "Farei..."

Avis saw that two of the Minish were leaving as well, and she felt very sad. She adored the two, and now that they were leaving, it just wouldn't be as fun anymore without them.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Mardian also noted her subdued demeanor as he went to see how she was enjoying the waterfall. He took a seat down beside her, mindful of Akamu. "Miri and Garic decided to return to the mainland." he said. "It's for the best, really. Traveling with us on something like this was far too dangerous in the first place, and they didn't want us to have to worry about inadvertently crushing them if we were to take a hit or something. It's a relief, really." he said. "I worried about such little ones out on a dangerous trip like this."
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Farei looked down sadly at Akamu and very gently stroked the top of his head with the tip of her finger. She wondered, at times, how he'd get along when the time came for her to leave the living and join the many buried in the very place she had been made to protect since she could hold a weapon. Akamu had been there before she was born, she imagined, so she was sure he'd be all right. Hopefully, she thought, he'd stay in Hyrule where the weather and land was much more hospitable than it was in the desert. Part of her wished he had gone with the other two, where they'd all be safe.

"I heard some of it," she murmured sadly, keeping her eyes down on the small Minish at her side. It sounded as if Mardian was trying to explain his own sadness away, as fast as he spoke of their departure, but she wasn't sure. She could hardly figure any of these people out. Her life of solitude had done her no favors when it came to socializing or even interacting in general, and her first plan, which was to say as little as possible, had backfired terribly just a few days ago. Monsters like her were meant to stay in seclusion, after all, and yet she felt guilty whenever her usual, normal, instinctual behavior wasn't what the others wanted, but it wasn't as if she could predict her own behavior all of the time. She reprimanded herself silently for her thinking that way. Now two of their group had decided to leave, and she wondered if it was all her fault. Ever since they had shown up, her world started to fall apart around her. But she imagined they felt the same way about their own situations.

"How....how is your arm?" she asked quietly, glancing up at Mardian. She looked ashamed of what she had done, and her expression betrayed it clearly. Whatever she had said to him had obviously bothered him, and she hated that he was injured - both physically and emotionally - from what she had said. Even if it wasn't really her that said it really, she held herself accountable. It was still her voice, her body, that demon controlled when he saw fit, after all.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 1:13 am

"It isn't hurting me too badly right now." said Mardian, running a hand across the bandage lightly. "By the time we set out again it will just be another scar." he said, smiling rather ruefully. "I always kept a sword in case I needed to defend myself, but I never thought I'd end up having to go up against masters. I'm going to need a lot of practice in a very short amount of time if I even want to stand a chance in a fight like that last one. When it has recovered enough. I was hoping that you and Link could help me with that. If you would be willing."
Back to top Go down
Dai

Dai

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Akamu wasn't one to fuss when Farei was petting him. He knew what she thought of him, and he merely hopped up, grasping her finger in a reassuring hug.
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:14 am

Farei's sad, golden eyes settled on Akamu's tiny form when she felt him tighten his grip on her finger. She turned them to Mardian when he spoke and his suggestion didn't sit very well with her. "I...I don't want to spar with you. But...if you want...I can teach you how to use my scythe."

She looked down at Akamu once more. "And you...I wish you had gone with your friends, Akamu. You're finally out of the desert. Granted there may not be as many 'shinies' out here, but you'd be better off than in that dusty tomb.." she stroked his cheek gently with her fingertip. She didn't want him going back.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:44 am

"I suppose given the circumstances that was a pretty poorly thought out request." said Mardian. "I just want to be more prepared, that's all. We need to be able to depend on each other, and I don't want to be dead weight again." he said, gripping his bandaged arm. He'd felt more than useless after that fight with the shadow Links, not only had he not been able to handle his own, his failure had caused them all to carry more weight to take up his slack, it was his fault that Farei had been forced to overcharge on her father's power and lose control over herself.

"What you're willing to teach me would be appreciated, Farei. Goddesses knows it never hurts to know how to use more than one weapon in a situation like this."
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 am

"Perhaps we should spar at some point. After you learn how to use my weapon." Farei said quietly. "If you know how a scythe works you'd know how to better defend against it. And if things keep going the way they are...it may be for the best if you knew how to get the upper hand." she smiled weakly, trying to pretend the implications behind her words weren't so heavy.

Her eyes strayed across the water as a zora came up and dived back down again in a wonderful display not too far from them. "How nice it must be...to swim like that." she murmured.
Back to top Go down
Netty
Admin
Netty

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 pm

"All right, but if you start to feel as if you're having trouble from your father you just let me know and we'll stop." said Mardian. "There's no reason to ask for that sort of trouble. Hopefully my arm will be functional in a week or so." he said. He looked over at the Zora as well, the creature the picture of grace.

"You probably don't know how to swim, do you, Farei?" he said. "There wouldn't be any call for it in the desert, or opportunity for that matter with as strictly as the Sages have been keeping you in the arbiter's grounds. I could teach you if you'd like to learn. I can't promise you could swim like a Zora, I doubt any Hylian could."
Back to top Go down
Jessi
Admin
Jessi

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Farei listened to him, watching the water sparkle brighter than the jewels that lined the coffins of the dead buried in the Arbiter's Grounds. "I think that would be wise." she said quietly, pulling her knees to her chest. She rested her chin on them, looking past the Zora and to the waterfall. Her eyes glanced his way when he mentioned teaching her to swim.

"It would be a waste of time." Farei said quietly, looking back out. She remembered what Avis wore to swim and Farei wasn't really interested in showing more of her body than needed with Iridian's eyes forever on the look out. What a creepy man he was. "I have nothing to wear and...where I'm going it wouldn't be of much use." The only lake she would be swimming in was a lake of dry, dusty sand, to join her kind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rise of Ruin   Rise of Ruin - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rise of Ruin
Page 7 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Winter Wine :: The Winery :: Wine Cellar-
Jump to: